Thursday, 10 November 2011

A Gem From Luther

OK - on to something altogether more wholesome and edifying. Here's a gem of a quote from Luther which a colleague pastor, Vernon Kleinig, alerted me to:

'The Word of God comes, whenever it comes, in a form that is contrary to our own thinking. ... Unless one becomes acquainted with it through practical experience, he will never understand it. And certainly, if practical experience is necessary in law which teaches a shadowy righteousness, how much more necessary it is in theology.' From Luther: Lectures on Romans (Library of Christian Classics), ed. Wilhelm Pauck (Westminster Press, 1961), 327-8.

Much depth to plumb there!

1 comment:

Melanchthon said...

The longer I am a pastor the more I need to "live" with my Bible: read it frequently and let it become an integral part of my every day life in order that I might truly hear the Word of God.