Sunday, 27 March 2011

Autumn


After a horrendous summer, there's a welcome touch of cold in the evening air tonight, which heralds the welcome news that Autumn will soon be here in her full, golden-red regalia. Although the city I live in is at a latitude which is officially sub-tropical, the elevation of the city means that our climate is actually temperate, with four distict and welcome seasons. We've even had snow (light!) in winter. Autumn days here are clear and sunny, and the number of deciduous trees planted in the city promises a sublime display of autumnal colours that few Australian cities can deliver, as pictured above. The cold evening brought to mind my favourite Autumnal poem, appropriately anough titled 'Autumn', by the long-forgotten English poet T.E. Hulme, who gave his life in World War I. We don't have a ruddy-faced moon here, rather a shimmering silver one, but wistful stars with white faces like town children are in abundance in the Southern sky. Enjoy:

A touch of cold in the Autumn night
I walked abroad,
And saw the ruddy moon lean over a hedge
Like a red-faced farmer.
I did not stop to speak, but nodded;
And round about were the wistful stars
With white faces like town children.

6 comments:

Melanchthon said...

It's hard to imagine the church year with the seasons reversed (for example, Lent refers to to the lengthening of days during Spring), although I suppose it offers some new intepretations as well. (Resurrection amidst the drift into winter...?)

Anyway, I love Autumn, so it's great to hear yours is so beautiful.

Pr Mark Henderson said...

Jon,

Yes, it is strange when you think
about it, celebrating Lent/Easter in Autumn, but having grown up with it most Australian Christian don't give it a second thought. Consider also that Christmas here comes at the height of summer!

vdma said...

It is jarring to think that it is almost Autumn somewhere. I went cross-country skiing today, and the only colors I saw were brilliant whites and blues and some golden yellows from the sun. There is still a lot of snow on the ground, but the sun is much higher these days, and so as she lingers longer in the blue sky she is so much brighter, direct, and warm. Spring is just around the corner, but I still enjoy the snow. The best Springs combine blooming wildflowers with melting snow.

May God bless you this Autumn.
Rick

Pr Mark Henderson said...

Sounds wonderful, Rick.
Something I've never experienced -cross-country skiing - although my wife and I love to watch it when the Winter Olympics are on TV.

matthias said...

Your photo Pastor reminds me of Bright in Victoria's North East.
However it si pretty fresh here in Melbourne today 13 Celsius. I noticed people walkign aorund with scarves on.
Summer here in Victoria- two days only over 40C,well better than the lead up to Black Saturday 2 years ago,but then a summer that seems to be the epitome of Dorothea Mackellar's poem MY COUNTRY

'Droughts and flooding rains" however despite "her beauty and her terror-the wide borwn land for me"

Pr Mark Henderson said...

I have only seen photos of Bright in autumn, Matthias -stunning.