Saturday, 19 February 2011

Luther on Matthew 5:42


Give to the one who begs from you, and do not refuse the one who would borrow from you (Matthew 5:42, ESV).

Christ is not commanding me here to give what I have to any scoundrel who comes along and as a result deprive my own family or others who may need my help and to whom I am obliged, and as a consequence suffer want and become a burden to others myself. He is not saying that we should give and lend to everybody, but to "the one who would borrow from you", that is, someone who really needs it.
Martin Luther, The Sermon on the Mount (cf. Luther's Works AE 21:117)

[Pic: Bloch, The Sermon on the Mount]

2 comments:

Lvka said...

'Glosses' are the interpretive notes you find scribbled on the margins of texts.


Like masoras, you mean? You little masoret, you... And this blog is the Masoretic text, right? :-)

Pr Mark Henderson said...

Yes, like masoras, Lucian. The American sociologist Talcott Parsons broadened the concept of glosses to include the "interpretive notes" on knowledge and experience which he thoguht make up a body of tradition which is then passed on to others. As for this being the Masoretic text, my aspirations with the blog are not that exalted. It's like an electronic memex machine mainly for my own purposes but also for the entertainment/edification of others...hopefully! :0)