Tuesday, 8 February 2011

Free Kindle For Your PC

Now you don't even need a Kindle to read a Kindle e-book. Amazon are offering a Kindle Application for PCs for free. Just click on the post title to go to the page. No, I'm not receiving anything from Amazon for this plug, it's just too good not to share. For those of us outside the US, this provides cheap and easy access to thousands of books we would otherwise have to either buy a Kindle to read (sure, I know they're only AUS$139 now, but I'm afraid that's still too expensive for this poor pastor paying for the education of his three kids), or pay exorbitant local retail or overseas shipping prices (I know too that Book Depository.com ships for free, but their theology inventory is limited, they are often out of stock anyway, and I haven't found their prices that much cheaper than their competitors - not that I've bought a book from either them or Amazon for a couple of years now, but I was recently checking them for midwifery textbooks for my wife). The Kindle PC app will be especially handy for netbook users like myself who don't have to lug around a laptop if we want to read in bed, on a bus/train, in a coffee shop, wherever - netbooks are almost as handy as a Kindle in fact, but with much more functionality, of course. Anyway, according to the Amazon blurb, with this you can...
*Get the best reading experience available on your PC. No Kindle required
* Access your Kindle books even if you don't have your Kindle with you
* Automatically synchronizes your last page read and annotations between devices with Whispersync
* Create new highlights, notes, and bookmarks and manage those created on your Kindle
* Use the built-in dictionary to seamlessly look up the definitions of English words without interrupting your reading.
* Full screen reading view, color modes, and brightness controls offer an immersive reading experience
Sounds good.

Btw, while I'm endorsing products, I use an Acer Aspire One netbook for all my computer needs. I bought it when my last HP laptop died (after two years, just out of warranty, naturally). The Acer Aspire has already lasted two years + and has been superior in its performance when compared with the Compaq family desktop. And, it only cost me $300 with $50 cashback! No, I'm not getting paid to write this either...I'm just happy to recommend a product I'm happy with. Hey, maybe I should monetize the blog? Someone actually offered to buy it off me recently...but no, the old manse is not for sale!

3 comments:

Kurt Onken said...

I mentioned in passing to my Sunday a.m. Bible class that I was looking into buying a Kindle and asked if anyone else had one. Later, some generous soul in the class ordered one for me and it was on my doorstep soon afterwards. Maybe you ought to try that next time you want a gadget but are short on dough. Worked for me!

Jnorm said...

I have the one for PC as well. The only thing I don't like about Kindle is the lack of page numbers. Everything is done as percentages. I'm not use to that and I have no idea how to use such a set up as a resource when trying to write a paper.

Pr Mark Henderson said...

Kurt,
Hope you're enjoying your Kindle!

John,
Yeah, that's a problem; I guess they've set it up for readers rather than researchers. I suppose there's no way around it but to check a hard copy of the book.

Blessings both!